What is an energy efficient home
Any home can be an energy-efficient home
Any home, no matter when it was built, can be energy-efficient. Modern construction standards do create more energy-efficient newer homes, but older homes can be upgraded to improve their energy performance as well. And, no matter where we live, we can all practise energy-efficient habits.
Top 9 Features of an energy efficient home
- Air sealing (around windows, doors, electrical outlets, vents).
- Well insulated (walls, attic, basement).
- High-performing ENERGY STAR® windows and doors.
- High-performing or ENERGY STAR® equipment (furnace, air-conditioner, water heater).
- High-performing ENERGY STAR® heat pump (an energy-saving heat pump can replace both your furnace and air-conditioner).
- ENERGY STAR® appliances (fridge, stove, clothes washer, dryer).
- LED or ENERGY STAR® lighting.
- Low-flow faucets and toilets.
- Personal energy-saving habits.